Government

Charleston County Historic Courthouse  
       
description
 

Working in association with NBBJ, Goff-D'Antonio Associates provided complete interior architectural services for the renovation to this Nationally recognized historic landmark Courthouse. Designed to reflect its 1792 appearance and function as it did as a courthouse, the building has been designed to house a non-jury courtroom, probate judges hearing room, probate functions, marriage license, estate file viewing room, estate clerks and a conference room for County Council's use along with visiting judge, appellate judge and probate judges chambers. In addition, a law library and public lobby displaying the history and importance of the courthouse is part of the planned renovation. In addition to interior construction documents, Goff-D'Antonio Associates is providing construction administrative-services for both the exterior and interior renovation. 

 
       
client
  Charleston County  
location
  Charleston, South Carolina  
media
  link  
       
       
Charleston County Judicial Center  
       
description
 

Strategic planning, programming, master planning, architectural design, construction documents, construction administration, graphics, interiors, and landscape architecture for renovation of existing historic Courthouse and O.T. Wallace office building, and construction of a new Judicial Center on an urban city block at Meeting and Broad Streets.


Project includes renovation of other existing historic structures on the site as well as design of hardscape for entire complex. The historic Courthouse project involves restoration of historic 1700's exterior facade as well as restoration and adaptive reuse of historic interiors. Our firm was in charge of interiors for this structure. The existing County office building, of 80,000 sq. ft., will be totally renovated and physically connected to the new Judicial Building, which will be 160,000 sq. ft. with 16 courtrooms. Goff-D'Antonio is part of the team which includes NBBJ and Cooper Robertson and Partners.

 
       
client
  Charleston County  
location
  Charleston, South Carolina  
media
  link  
       
       
Folly Beach Municipal Complex  
       
description
 

The firm provided architectural, planning, interior design and engineering services for a new City Hall and Fire Station. The project involved two phases which included building a new 3500 sq. ft. Fire Station which also temporarily housed the police/public safety department. The existing City Hall and old Fire Station were demolished and a new 10,800 sq. ft. City Hall was built in their place on the same site.


The City Hall building houses the City Clerk's offce, Administration, Public Works, Public Safety Department, Council Chambers, Municipal Court, Judges Chambers, Conference and Support Space. The exterior of the building is stucco and architectural storefront on a decorative CMU base. Vertical roofed tower elements articulate the exterior facade. Major circulation is along an interior arcade which faces the view of the ocean. Broad roof overhangs shelter the building from the sun. The front entry created the traditional front on Center Street.

 
       
client
  City of Folly Beach  
location
  Folly Beach, South Carolina  
media
  link  
       
       
Hollings Judicial Center  
       
description
 

The firm provided complete architectural interior and landscape architectural services including design, construction documents and construction administration for an annex to the existing U.S. Courthouse at Meeting and Broad Streets. The existing courthouse is a three story Beaux-Arts design by John Henry Devereaux built around the late 1800's. The location is the "Four Corners of Law" across from the 1700's St. Michael's Episcopal Church and adjacent to the historic residential area.


As a new building in one of the most sensitive historic areas of the country, the building was originally opposed by preservation groups and the final design represents the successful result of a long collaborative effort to create a design which successfully fits into this context. The building is a 4-story structure of 27,000 sq. ft. connected on all levels to the existing Courthouse. The exterior consists of granite panels over a rusticated granite base which replicates the base of the existing courthouse, so as to visually link the two buildings.


 
       
client
  General Services Administration, Atlanta,Ga.  
location
  Charleston, South Carolina  
media
  link  
       
       
Lockwood Municipal Complex  
       
description
 

The firm provided programming assistance, urban design, planning, architectural design, interior design, landscaping, and all engineering disciplines for the renovation of 43,000 sq. ft. of space and 34,000 sq. ft. of new space for the City of Charleston. The existing building to be renovated will house City Police functions. The new building will house Municipal Courts, the Traffic and Transportation Department and the State Department of Motor Vehicles. The plan is designed to create a complex of buildings with an outdoor connecting public courtyard between the buildings. The new structures will be placed in front of the existing structure and are oriented toward the Ashley River with one building element turned to address the Corner of Lockwood and Fishburne Street.

 
       
client
  City of Charleston  
location
  Charleston, South Carolina  
media
  link  
       
       
Visitor Reception and Transportation Center  
       
description
 

NBBJ/Goff-D'Antonio in association with Cooper, Robertson and Partners performed architectural services on this project consisting of the complete renovation of two buildings, the J.R. Dean's Building (1856) and the Old Martschink Warehouse Building (ca. 1894), to create the Charleston Visitor Reception and Transportation Center. The VRTC serves as a point of orientation and information for individuals and tour groups visiting Charleston. The Dean's Building houses limited office space for City's Transportation Office, the Charleston Adventure multi-media presentation, exhibit and sales space, an information distribution area in a pre-Civil War structure. The Old Martschink Warehouse Building serves as a depot for tour buses and vans. Both of these buildings are part of a National Landmark District which comprises the country's oldest and largest conglomeration of railroad associated structures and are located across the street from the country's oldest municipal museum. The VRTC is adjacent to a major commercial urban revitalization effort. This project was awarded a 1995 Design For Transportation Honor Award by the U.S. Department of Transportation as well as local and regional AIA Design Awards.

 
       
client
  City of Charleston  
location
  Charleston, South Carolina  
media
  link